Thread: Body/Trim: - Rear fog light
View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 00:59   #9
GenericVolvoDriver

If you use a Dremel tool or scalpel, you can cut out the plug and convert a reflector unit into a bulb-accepting unit.

In Canada, rear fog lights are uncommon (and only having one on confuses police that you have a bulb out).
I converted my passenger side reflector into a 2nd rear fog light as you can't order the UK drivers side lens in Canada:

Quote:
Great news! I discovered today if you Dremel out the plastic plug on the reflector side, underneath is the key way for the H21W bulb socket.
Below are some pictures of the right vs left (I'll take better pictures when I install the harness).
I've since further cleaned up the cut with a scalpel - locks into place perfect as does the O-ring.
All we have to do is order the harness 8693010 and a H21W bulb. Confirmed with a multimeter that both sides are energized when you press the rear fog button.

This picture shows how deep you should go so not to case damage. You can barely make it out - there are key ways identical to the NA drivers side fog lens. Be careful not to go too deep as you'll go into the hard clear plastic of the key way. It's better to clean things up with a scalpel. Another great aspect of this mod is that the left/right lenses have the same markings, so this is 100% road legal lens wise (it is also legal in Canada to have dual rear fogs):
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post6877362

IMG_3926 by Radio Fan, on Flickr

IMG_3929 by Radio Fan, on Flickr

IMG_4003 by Radio Fan, on Flickr
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me

Last edited by GenericVolvoDriver; Mar 14th, 2019 at 01:07.
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote