View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 15:59   #1
LucasSilver

Default Handbrake shoes delaminated?

Hi folks,

I had an issue with my handbrake. Parked up on a small hill and pulled the brake up one click less that I should and car started rolling down slowly. Pulled one notch up and it held it in place. Then I decided to tighten the line a bit and drove on a steeper hill to test it and it held nicely. So I thought I'll drive back to my parking spot but while backing up I heard grinding noise from right rear and a slight squeal noise when driving slowly forward. I left it for a day and the day after I tried driving a few meters with the same noise going forward but backing up I got a rattling/grinding sound. Tried driving forward and pulling up the brake a bit and I got that squealing sound like metal on metal.

I'm thinking the shoes got delaminated and are tumbling around in the drum and squealing sound is from the shoe metal itself grinding on the drum. Am I correct? I booked a mechanic on clickmechanic.com but one guy who accepted the job said I need to come to the garage because a ramp is required to do this. Can't they just use wheel chocks?

Another question is can I drive it to a garage without risking any damage?

Thank you.
LucasSilver is offline   Reply With Quote