View Single Post
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 15:07   #12
Ash240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
340's are excellent, economical (for what they are) and sensible.

Servicing is a joy. especially the 1.4, loads of room in the engine bay. Ours runs on LPG, an easy conversion that pays itself off in about 10 months normal driving. Added benefits are that the oil simply doesn't get fouled. You drain out almost clear oil after about 10,000 miles.

But be warned, spares are dwindling. You might just find that your pride and joy is laid low indefinitely with something silly like a burst radiator hose.

We have built up a stock of ebay items which have proved useful. (Brake discs, radiator [now used], alternators etc.)

Second warning. Not everybody selling things on ebay is clued up or scrupulous. (Shock, horror!) A 340 starter motor might not work when you come to use it. Chances are by this time, it's too late to send it back.

Third warning. Rust. It is subject to tinworm around the rear wheel arches. Don't miss directing a jet of clean water right up under the arches to flush out the accumulated soil and salt that will have your car for breakfast. Keep it clean and it will last.

I would steer clear of the auto. we had one for a short while, but try shimming the gearbox, or even changing the belts. Lots of mangled knuckles!

All round, if the spares were more easy to get, I would say go for a 340 for a beautiful runaround car. As it is, be prepared to have it laid up for days on end whilst you trawl the internet.
Thankyou for the advice, I would try and find a complete car for spares. I know of 1 or 2 laid up around here that would be suitable donor cars.