View Single Post
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 22:58   #20
Wilbo8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoyOfSix View Post
The best I ever had out of my 1.4 4spd was 38mpg and that was by sitting at 60 mph on the motorway. Having said that it always returned over 30mpg in town driving whereas the 2.0 GLS I had would dip to mid 20's in town and struggle to beat 33mpg on a run.

The later (B200 carb engined) 360's could get upper 40's if treated with kid gloves, and the 1.7's can get close too as long as the carb is in good order. 1.4's with the 5spd 'box are fairly close, but I'd say 30mpg in town and 42ish on a steady run - expect low to mid 30's in everyday use and you'd be about right.
Ha, i rounded it up to 400, i think i managed 380 but i thought i could get more out of it. having said that, i have found my speedo is slightly optimistic according to a satnav. i have the correct diameter wheels on so maybe the speedo isnt't calibrated well enough? anyways, if the speedo was reading higher, it would mean my odometer would be climbing quicker and so more miles per tank than actually possible? i seriously doubt my volvo would do 50mpg but i can dream! i shall give a proper reading when the car's empty. i do a lot of motorway miles and drive quite carefully (two speeding fines sort to this) i'm just happy to have a efficient decent sized car! for the last year i've had a car that, no joke, you could watch the needle drop! :-O
Wilbo8711 is offline   Reply With Quote