View Single Post
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 19:08   #4
SvenSomerset

Thanks, gents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The original resonator in the rear exhaust pipe was a more rounded version of the one Simon sells. His is the normal standard now with the 2 halves of the pot joined in the middle. There are plenty of pattern ones that have a mini version of a normal silencer that are a tube with a seam along it and the end caps crimped on. Simon's type tend to more reliable. Back boxes always rust out first due to never getting really hot. This leaves a bit of condensation in the bottom of the pot and rusts them out. Some of these have a very small hole at the lowest point to allow the water to drain away. If not drill one after fitting. If you have a very fussy MOT man you can screw a short self tapper into it when you take it in.
Thanks for the info, but the box under the bottom of the floorpan was long and kinda rectangular, then there was an arched pipe, and after that a flattish, oval-sectioned back box with the tailpipe on – I shoulda taken some pics, really... that setup ring any bells? Maybe the back box is non-standard because the car was lowered?

Quote:
Simon can make you up a kit of either Poly or rubber and you might get a small discount if you buy a complete set. He will run through with you what you need. Buy new nuts and bolts as well. As it's an advisory I would start by squirting penetration oil on all of the nuts and bolts involved. Do it as often as you can manage, say a couple of times a week until you take it in for the work. If it's not going in until next year, fine, just get extra cans! Plus Gas is good. Some bolts can be a real b*gg*r to get loose. And your garage, and your wallet, will get the benefit.
Thanks for that, good to know about the nuts and bolts – as I said, it was the first time I'd seen the car from fully underneath (on a lift) so I ain't gonna be able to squirt any penetration oil on 'em... :-(

Quote:
The clutch slave kit comes with the rubber cap you mention so you shouldn't need the fancy concertina one.
That's saved me a bunch of cash, cheers! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Exhaust if you can afford to do it get a free flowing system fitted, your engine will thank you for it.
Can't afford another whole system yet, but as noted above, may have to go to a 'regular' exhaust place to get the existing middle pipe / rear box setup replicated...

Quote:
Suspension bushes the rear bushes usually last well but as modern rubber is not anything like as good as it used to be poly is the best bet.
Yeah, that's what I assumed, having had crap experiences with other rubber products, especially replacement soles and heels on my footwear! :-)

Quote:
As to the clutch when you bleed the system after fitting the new slave the master can sometimes fail where there is a step in the bore causing the seals to tear. Unless the master looks very crudddy i would take a gamble on the existing one before replacing
Top advice, thanks!

Well, it's seem that that I've gotta buzz the garage, get more details on which bit(s) of the exhaust needs doing, then buzz Simon... thanks, folks!
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote