View Single Post
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 14:46   #6
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
I had this message pop up yesterday, no additional warning symbols appeared on the dash. The car had it's regular service at 78k with a trusted local garage recently, and I've booked it in for Monday to have it hooked up to the diagnostics. From what I've gleaned here and on other forums, it seems nothing to be concerned about and might need as little as a simple reset. other suggestions point to overfilling oil as a possible source but others dismiss this. Has anyone had experience of this please?
Experience of this? Err...sadly, yes. Quite a lot.

In my case after a quarter of a years investigation it turned out the fuel pump (driven directly off the engine block on the 2.0D) was leaking fuel past a faulty seal into the block itself resulting in diluted engine oil.

Apparently I'm one of only 3 people on the planet to have experienced this type of pump failure. But you might be the fourth - assuming the 1.6D is a scaled down 2.0D and the pump is driven in the same way. The error codes often pertained to oil quality, but not always.

I didn't see the message again until about 112,000km (10,000km is the service interval here in SA) and as the oil was due for a change, I put it down to that. I have subsequently changed the oil but the message is still there. I've learned to live with it.

It's possible this message covers a range of issues. Someone somewhere must have a list of faults that could trigger this particular message.

My car had covered about 102,000km by the time it was eventually fixed. The whole experience left such a bitter taste in my mouth I swore I'd never go back to a Volvo dealer - and I haven't, until today.

Almost 4 years later, I've decided to forgive and forget. It's at a new dealer getting new timing and auxiliary belts. They seem like a nice enough bunch of lads. Because of the rather eye-watering costs I'm getting the car serviced in stages. If and when it gets it's codes read I'll post back on the cause of the current ESSR message.

Good luck!