View Single Post
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 19:46   #9
Ignatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
did your trusted garage advise that the DPF is due at 75k, or that the additive may need topping up? and that not changing the DPF on time can lead to some expensive bills....

It could be as simple as overfilling the oil, but it could be something as complex as the engine is buggered! the joys of generic fault messages, if its driving normal I'm going to take a stab in the dark that its DPF related.

...or another stab in the dark, when was the fuel filter last changed?

....on the other probably best to avoid speculation and see what the diagnostics say
I had it dealer serviced from new, after four years I swapped to a local garage that I've use ever since. I know the DPF is due at 75k. No worries yet, but I've already sourced the replacement and plan to change it next year. I live out in the sticks, so most journeys are 30 mins plus and on open roads which help keep the DPF ticking over I hope. I also know that unlike the 2.0D, the 1.6D accumulates soot and therefore needs Eolysis changing periodically; this has been done in line with service intervals. The fuel filter has been changed in the last 12 months. The only problem I had around a year ago was that one of the small pipes from the DPF had come away. Three or four times the engine completely died under load (overtaking or accelerating uphill), but with the pipes replaced it's been fine since. New exhaust system earlier this year too.
I did a forty mile round journey today on open roads. The message appeared once twice on the outbound and return journey. No other dash symbols or symptoms. My initial thoughts when it first appeared were DPF. Another poster elsewhere in the forums cited better fuel economy as a result of replacing it. Mine has always returned 50-55mpg (measured myself, not the OBC) and still does. Monday will bring some more insight with the diagnostics. Thanks for posting!
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatz For This Useful Post: