View Single Post
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:22   #7
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binty View Post
Dear Graham,
Just done mine on the 2001 model and it was basically the same but perhaps this thread was a bit complex. I did mine in the dealers car park using a swiss army knife.

The original hinge had 4 self tappers to remove and then pulled off. I kept the self tappers and re used them.

The new hinge had 4 x plasic plugs above the fitting holes. these just snap off.

The hinge can be clipped on with just finger pressure, but it is tight. I found it best to hold the hinge and flap against the car to start with to ensure they were al the right way round before attempting to click them in place.

One hinge and flap are united the hinge just presses into place and the self tappers screw in to hold it. Total time less than 5 minutes.

Interesting when I rang the dealer, expecting to have to buy a full hinge and flap assembly, they said it was a common problem and they kept the hinges in stock. They were surprised mine had lasted so long.
The screws (4x½" No.6 stainless steel self-tapper screws according to the link above) would be a lot easier for an unpracticed person than the plastic pins. (I wouldn't think self tapping screws would be required since the screw threads are just biting into plastic. Whatever screws one had on hand that were the right length and diameter would probably work.)

I had a little trouble punching the old pins through to release the old hinge because at first I was afraid to punch with sufficient force to eject them.

The Volvo parts guy told me that pressing on the outside without supporting the pin could cause the pin to fly and be lost. He said one way their techs get the new pins started was to break them off and pass them through the expansion fasteners from the inside out until most of the length was clear on the outside. I did this and it did work. Then I held the hinge in place and thrust the pins in flush with a plumber's faucet valve seat remover. I could use my abdomen to support my wrist to force the pins in and didn't need a hammer.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote