View Single Post
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 13:32   #12837
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
and even if I do finish it it'll still be worth a lot less completed than I could go and buy a younger one with significantly less miles on the clock, I don't know.
Yes, I seem to be accumulating V40s too, with three currently on the property and space becomming rather tight!

I feel every inch of your pain. I loved my T4, but it was riddled with faults and rusted to buggery. The current plan is to park the T4 in the back garden, put the old green 1600 under the carport, and install the mechanicals of the T4 into the green chassis. This is an huge undertaking, of course, and realistically is unlikely to happen. I'll give it the summer and see where I am after that.

I miss it so much. The diesel is okay, immaculately clean and a lovely thing to ride around in - but by God it's awful to drive. It's as if someone took a gearbox designed for a petrol engine, stuck it on a diesel engine and said "There, that'll do." Real bodge-it-and-scarper stuff. It's no wonder there are complaints about the volvo gearboxes - they truly do suck wet donkey balls! It doesn't match ANY driving condition. It doesn't match the engine at all. I NEVER use 4th gear except on the motorway - the thing is just so insanely over-geared, it's a chore to drive it. I'm constantly switching between 2nd and 3rd. There just simply aren't enough gears to match the power band of the diesel engine. I need a gear 2½!

(side note: If this is what diesel drivers are struggling with, it's no wonder DPF filters are clogging up. My wife, prone to labouring any engine, tends to potter around never exceeding 2000 RPM. This kind of driving, I would suggest, would clog a DPF in no time at all)

Yep. Don't rate it much. Everyone says "Oh, you just got used to your automatic, now you're finding it a struggle to go back", No, it's just a crap gearbox, worst I've ever known in any car.

So I'm kinda in the same boat. Got this wonderful car sat rotting and wondering what to do with it.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote