View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 21:46   #19
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
I think the S90 is a great looking car, the new SPA cars appear to be at least equal in quality to the last generation and their FoMoCo parts bin components, and I have no doubt that a properly managed factory in China can turn out cars equal in quality to any plant in the world.

However, I cannot bring myself to spend £50k on an S90 or V90 because the powertrain refinement is totally inadequate and quite frankly I would rather they continued to manufacture in Europe because I'd rather support jobs in Sweden than in China.

I was geared up to order a V90 but sitting in the stunning Inscription interior and then turning the key on that four banger diesel and having it clatter you down the road was like eating a strawberry and finding it tastes of earwax. Maybe a good enough engine in a £25k hatchback, but not in a £50k car. Needless to say they didn't have a petrol or hybrid V90 for me to try, but the engine in the T6 XC90 was similarly underwhelming.

These cars deserve modern six cylinder petrol and diesel options, not just economy car four pots for the lease car market.
Had a chat yesterday with a guy who has a year old Jaguar with a 2 litre turbo diesel engine. H e likes the car and when I asked about the engine he thought it was more than adequate and very capable and he also gets good consumption when towing his caravan. It is apparent that BMW, Audi and Merc are fitting such engines in considerable numbers in their cars.
I have to say that when I test drove the S90 you would never have known it was not a 6 cylinder engine but my experience is limited.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote