View Single Post
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 21:39   #16
Neil H
New V40 Owner

today I made some headway on the back half but didn't get quite as far as i'd have hoped because i had to get a few other jobs done too.
I stripped off the old flexi pipes from the calipers, wrestled the old metal pipes of of the flexi's and popped the metal pipes out of all the retaining clips back to the chassis rails.
I've decided I'm not going to drop the fuel tank for now and will do an interim fix until next summer, if it weren't for a retaining clip or two above the tank i could easily pull the old pipe out and thread a new one through but i just cant do that right now.

Luckily the pipe looks good up ans over the tank its just where it comes out and goes the caliper that's knackered and also its pretty shot in the area next to the fuel filter so I'm going to put three joins in this length, one along the chassis rail before it goes through to the fuel filer area, one before it disappears over the tank and one where it comes out and goes to the caliper so that's going to be two new sections of pipe.
I could negate the first one by running a new entire length from the front but i'm not sure i have enough Kunifer pipe, I have more copper but should i use this or order more Kunifer pipe ?
I'm also not looking forward to routing a new pipe from the union on the bulkhead though to the underside of the car but its probably not as much of a big deal as i'm imagining I also think its going to be tight just getting a spanner in there so i hope it will even undo ok if i try.
Also i don't have the car up very high in the air (just on the first hole of my Halfords axle stands (one on each corner of the car so ive got all the wheels off) my jack doesn't go very high so I either need to find a big block of wood or work something else out as i'm not sure i can shimmy under the front part.
The car is also on a slight slope so its not ideal for jacking and i get a little claustrophobic under the car if its not jacked up high enough.

I've cut the bad pipe out at the back and made a couple of the joints already, pulled the passenger side old pipe out and have a pretty clear idea of where I'm going next (i spent too much time laying under there staring at it today but I'm a master procrastinator so its normal for me.

Anyway I've now got to go to work Fri/Sat/Sun (12hour shifts) so i have time to think about what to do next.

To be continued.......

London, UK
Current Car - 1999 T4 V40 Ph1 66k AKA "Heather"
My Previous Car: V40 2.0T 2000 Volvo V40 2.0T (B4204T3)
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neil H For This Useful Post: