View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 10:55   #28
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

I have broken 2 V40's and had 3, non have had frayed seat belts, but all have been owned by people about 6' tall, looking at design and the way the belt rolls up, if someone shorter drives car, the belt is dragged against the bottom of the trim, and when it recoils doesn't recoil neatly, but coils over part of the lower section of the mechanism, so next time it pulls out, it just rubs more, regardless of size of person

out of interest (but never photographed it or anything) did my non scientific experiment with trim removed, with me sitting in drivers seat, and putting on and off seat belt, and my son, doing the same, the way the belt recoiled with son sitting in car, would have meant it would have heavily dragged on trim recoiling , and when next pulled out, when I sat there, I'm 6' tall, belt recoiled neatly.

Just as another thing worth noting, don't try and uncoil a replacement seat belt, or check mechanism works, until it is fitted in car, as it only works at angle its designed to sit in car, +/- a very few degrees, which is why even when parked on a steep hill, or trying to put on belt whilst moving, they sometimes keep locking.

Last edited by cookie; Sep 12th, 2013 at 10:57. Reason: added a bit
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post: