View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 07:46   #8
dingov70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Out of pure curiosity, why would someone go to the trouble of cutting a hatch into a cat, removing it's insides, then welding it back up?

Surely, given its going to fail on emissions anyway, if it's a short term botch, wouldn't it be cheaper to just put a straight piece of pipe in its place?
MOT tester stepping forward again , People cut / gut & weld the Cat for the following , Reason for rejection :- A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing where one was fitted as standard.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....4s07000101.htm links you to our test manual & on the refusal certificate you will find the code 7.1.3.3 which links you back again to our reason for rejection ( failure )

People think that if the cat is still fitted ,even missing its internals , they can browbeat us into issuing a pass , NOT going to happen ! .

So far last year I have ruined the days of 15 individuals who have decatted their cars , throwing away the cat & getting stung at test time

I also enjoyed the "chat" with the owner of a recently DPF free car , who when told it had failed & why , glibly informed me it was a factory delete by the dealership ! .

Also remember the emissions tests are fairly automated with us doing no more than operating the throttle as required & the preprogrammed machines processing the exhaust outputs