Thread: XC90: - Nightmare xc90!
View Single Post
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 14:44   #2
green van man
Premier Member

There was an issue where the power steering pipes corroded from the inside out. This is the reason I change my power steering fluid every 2 years. It's possible as this is not a service item under the volvo regime your car is still on original fluid which has eaten the pipes weakening them to the extent that any movement caused the split.. £600 seems a bit steep but if it's volvo prices then it's very possible.

It's a 10 year old car, there will be issues with it, however once sorted and you regain confidence in the car it is a great drive.
Have you had the gearbox fluid changed yet? It's another of the volvo non service items and will bite you eventually. My xc70 is a manual, I change gearbox oil every 40,000 miles or 2 years, for the £30 it costs me for the oil it's cheap insurance against gearbox failier.

Had you baught another car that too would of had issues that needed sorting out, every secondhand car does, belive me I've had lots, both cars and issues.
You evidently baught it because it suited you, my advise is stick with it for at least a bit unless you are still able to reject it and get a full refund as any car with an issue plummets in value untill it's fixed. A mate baught a £58,000 rangerover for £3500 because of the issues it had, 91 stored faults being one of them along with broken air con.

Have you tried to source 3rd party pipes. Don't just accept the garage price without checking. Are you or anyone you know capable of changing the pipes for beer money.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: