View Single Post
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 21:26   #9
Jcbrown

Been playing with Playlists (groan), and actually got them to work.

However, it all seems to be one hell of a faff, so I (for one) don't think I will bother. I'll just create Playlists in Spotify and use that instead. If I listen to an album I have on my USB, I'll just listen to it in the order it is already in.

I have got multiple tracks for multiple albums of one artist to play, all tracks on one album by one artist but in a different order, and individual tracks, from different albums by different artists - so pretty much covering every eventuality.

I have even created a long, boring document showing how I achieved it if anyone is interested - I just need to figure out somewhere to host it to share it.

As a child of the Vinyl LP and Cassette Tape album era, the idea of a Playlist is something I have never really bothered with. I listen to an album starting at track 1, and listen in the order the artist/producer/mixer/company/whoever decided that I should listen to them in.

The thought of changing the order brings back memories of lifting the needle, and trying to place it carefully in the thin gap between tracks, Typically missing and either getting the last few bars of the previous track, missing the opening notes of the track I wanted, or (a punishable crime), slipping and hearing the needle gouge a huge scratch over 1/2 a track. Swapping between tracks on the A side and the B side was something which never entered my head.

The alterative, repeatedly hitting >>/FF until I was 1/2 way through the track I wanted, then swapping between <</REW and >>/FF till I found the beginning did not add anything to the listening of the latest Tape based album. Of course all this >>/FF and <</REW promptly resulted in the tape stretching or even snapping. Many a happy hour spent unscrewing a cassette tape, joining the snapped ends together with sticky tape, and trimming it extremely carefully so it would not foul the tape heads, before tying to find the small screws which had now fallen onto the carpet.

It is probably only about a year ago I created my first Playlist (to accompany me on a 5 hour bicycle ride), and that was just a bunch of albums (in track order). I now do have 2-3 playlists on Spotify, but not many.

As above, if anyone wants details, let me know. I will find somewhere to host and share my long, boring document

Last edited by Jcbrown; Sep 26th, 2017 at 21:31.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote