View Single Post
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 08:59   #8
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
I am wrong about the 8mm bolt size. I`m trying to remember as it was a while ago and i`m prone to the odd "Senior Moment" every now and then. All i remember is to have a good selection of slim bodied combination spanners because the amount of turn that you can get on that bolt is minimal.
There was no crankcase pressure on my car. The PCV sytem is a service item so i changed mine to avoid all the horror stories about blocked systems. The real culprit is the return drain from the box back to the sump. That is the first area to clog-up .You wont know `til everything is removed. There may be the start of a blockage. The best thing is to blow down the hole using a length of hose and listen for a gurgling noise in the sump oil. You can hear that if you remove the oil filler cap.
What i will say is, the engine breathes much better for having done this job. It runs much smoother. There was a build up of oil above the turbo on mine too, although mine didn`t smoke, and i`ve just repaired the turbo. The hot-side sealing ring was worn.
Both these jobs seem to have cured it.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote