Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 11:15   #244
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
We don't plan to do any welding ourselves so this will have to be farmed out to a garage, and I'd like it done asap rather than waiting for things to get worse.
My question is, how difficult/ expensive do the jobs sound?
Thanks for any thoughts,
Chris
That's one of those "piece of string" questions Chris. It may be a case that simply removing old underseal, wire brushing and then treating with a rust converter then primer, paint and some form of underseal will see it right for several or more years to come.

It could also be a case of cutting out previous repairs then cutting back to good metal, welding in repair pieces and then prime, paint etc.

You can save yourself a lot of money (and potential grief) by stripping out the upholstery, carpets etc from the areas concerned on the inside. No point paying a garage £x/hr to do that when that money would be better spent doing what they're charging for which is welding. You'll also learn a lot about how the car is put together and maybe find other potential rust spots that can be treated before they turn ugly.

I'm glad the right one for you came along, hopefully it will be a long and fruitful ownership!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: