View Single Post
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 19:45   #5
BrendanHurley

Well it turned out the that scratching/squealing noise I had was a bad rear universal joint, which had all but disintegrated. Replaced both the front and rear, centre bearing which all had some play. The centre UJ seemed okay, so left it be.

On test drive about 7 miles from home, it threw the new rear UJ cap. Managed to limp home and back on the jacks for inspection. I couldn't believe I had installed the rear shaft 90 degrees out of phase... when I had checked it, checked and double checked it... I also think the circlip may not have been seated properly as the yoke looked a bit battered.

Ordered 2 more UJ's from Brookhouse (1 spare just in case). Put a tiny dab of JB weld on the criclips for good measure and has seen 700 miles without issue.

Next job to tackle is the rough idle combined with fluttering vacuum gauge needle which has been like that since I got the car. I am hoping its just a head gasket failure between cylinders (previous owner confessed to it overheating it) but I wont know until I pull off the head. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil or loss of coolant. The head was overhauled with new valves, springs, guides @ 12k miles ago... in 1983.
BrendanHurley is offline   Reply With Quote