View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 17:00   #458
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian W XC60 View Post
Hope you don't mind a former owner commenting but unless you're a politician it's as well to remember the old maxim about lies, damned lies and statistics and to use the poll on this thread to come to that conclusion is, frankly, barking!
The thread and poll started 10yrs ago, I commented and voted almost that long ago and was an enthusiastic yes man. The original XC60 was a standout thing of beauty in its class, very cutting edge but with a gruff but tried and tested 2.4 D engine. As good as my word when the face lift came out I "upgraded" to the newby with the euro6 compliant D4 engine with no faffing about with adblue. 3 recalls for the EGR, 1 for the EPB not setting (sometimes) and a random SRS Airbag Service required warning which happened every few months but reset after one or two restarts still didn't put me off that much. The major engine rebuild required because the EGR keeps pumping cr@p into the inlet end of the engine and 4th EGR recall left me with no confidence in the longevity of this engine so my vote now wouldn't be what it was 10yrs ago.
When the facts change, so does my opinion but the poll doesn't allow me to change to "no way, nelly!".
In my motoring life I've probably bought 10 new or pre-reg cars of many makes and I've never had anything like this number of recalls on any of them.
If you only keep a new car 2/3yrs you'll probably never have a problem other than the inconvenience of the recalls. If you buy older or keep longer, good luck with that one as I suspect a very high proportion of D4's will suffer major problems at 4-6yrs.
Volvo have record sales so they won't be too bothered about the D4 14-17 but for individual owners, its a disaaaster darling!
You have single handedly had enough bad luck for the entire forum!! I had the same bad luck as you with my BMW 5 series moneypit. Whilst different issues they were major and expensive. As soon as the 'out of warranty chip' fired up everything went expensively wrong and BMW said 'talk to the hand'.
I may be on borrowed time but to date the Volvo has been trouble free and beaten the BMW hands down. I'm not expecting to last as long as my LR or Vitesse but would settle for another 4 years!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post: