View Single Post
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 10:36   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I don't see how the proposal to extend the MOT could have come "before Covid".

If there was a serious case for extending the duration of MOTs generally, then 6 months was an odd number to chose, and an unrelated outbreak of a pandemic an odd moment to announce it.
Even odder is to withdraw the extension after only 2 months.
I had not heard of a proposal to extend MoT validity beyond 12 months (which seems a sensible period to me), but I suppose BREXIT means we won't have to suck up to the EU any more anyway.

I think the 6 month extension was a sensible expedient during the pandemic - there wasn't really an alternative if non-essential businesses had to close in order to contain the pandemic (which seems to have worked as planned). It must have operated for at least 4 months (the Royal Barge's MoT was extended in April, and the scheme will run until the end of July), but there would be no reason to continue with the expedient, so it is right to end it and get the economy back to normal now.

I don't think there was anything nefarious about this whole issue: it was just a sensible thing to do during a crisis, which is now under control so there is no need to continue (Heckflosse is right - otherwise the standard of cars on the road will drop too far).

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote