View Single Post
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 21:32   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
The MoT standards and intervals have nothing to do with the EU. Similar tests vary from country to country.
In this case I don't think there was any serious proposal from the government (to appease the EU or otherwise) to extend the MoT period, but it is certainly not the case that MoT requirements have nothing to do with the EU (hence Directive 2014/45/EU). The MoT exemption we enjoy for cars over 40 years old (and hence the Royal Barge, which is why I bothered to research it) is as a direct result of the EU. Whilst being most grateful for no longer having to get the Royal Barge tested, I must admit it makes no sense whatsoever to me. It seems ridiculous not to test old cars for safety and roadworthyness - if anything vehicles should be tested more frequently as they get older.

Anyway, EU bureaucrats are clearly much more intelligent and insightful than am I - so I'll happily drive my 40 year old Volvo and ride my 44 year old Suzuki legally without the need for a Mot test :-)

I don't think any British government will ever get round to rescinding this daft but helpful bit of EU law once the BREXIT transition is over :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 6th, 2020 at 21:43.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: