View Single Post
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 07:15   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It seems ridiculous not to test old cars for safety and roadworthyness - if anything vehicles should be tested more frequently as they get older.
That does make obvious sense, but I think it is missing the point. One old car may perhaps be unsafe, but the majority of cars over 40 years old are exceptionally well maintained, do small mileages, and are generally not used for peak-hours commuting.
Also there are very few of them, so whatever the risk posed by one individual car, in total the risk is miniscule.

Also, the actual testing procedure is increasingly diverging as between old cars and the latest modern ones. More and more of the tests involve electronic interogation of computer systems, and the number of old-style traditional mechanics capable of testing old vehicles is diminishing. Half the testable items do not apply to old vehicles.
I've owned vehicles in the past where I have had to show the tester how to operate them. One I had to drive the car myself and apply the brakes when instructed because the tester was too nervous. Also he was very small and the seat was not adjustable.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: