View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 22:56   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I have at the back of my mind that the door switches support a separate circuit for the alarm so the setting of the internal light could be a red herring. I may be wrong since it’s a while since I had to fiddle with them. The door switches, which of course make a connection to earth through the screw which holds them in, do play up after 20+ years. They can usually be revitalised by cleaning off any corrosion around the screw but occasionally need to be carefully dismantled and their internal contacts cleaned too. If the internal lights are ever a bit reluctant to switch on when the door opens the chances are the switches are corroded.
You may be right and it is a red herring, it's about 25 years ago i was doing that particular job (or i should say my boss was) so it's a bit of a shot in the dark. Worth checking nonetheless as some other alarm systems rely on registering a voltage drop when the doors are opened and shut to trigger the alarm so it may not be reading that voltage drop especially if opening and/or clsing the door is part of the rest procedure, even if cunningly disguised as "get in the car and close the door and switch the igntion on within 5 seconds" as i remember from one procedure although i think that was actually for resetting the idle stepper motor on something.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: