Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 11:00   #1367
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think that on average winters were a bit harsher then (although we still get harsh winters now - people forget the Beast from the East when the Greens keep bombarding us with their opinions). Tyres and cars were much less capable then, and many more roads in country areas were unsurfaced, so swapping to winter tyres was more of a necessity that it is today.

I still think there are enough frosty and snowy days to make winter tyres worth it - the Škoda is generally okay in cold conditions (even with the 18" tyres) but there have been times when it wasn't able to climb the slope outside my house until I'd cleared a path with a shovel.

Alan
Remember the old spinning top with the pump handle in the top to get them spinning Alan? It would strat spinning at full speed and be pretty stable.
As it slowed down, it would start describing another circle as a slight wobble while still spinning at a reasonable speed.

That's what the planet is doing and has been for umpteen millennia before now so we're now in a period wherethe northern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun slightly more.
That means we're generally slightly warmer throughout the year but with more of a prominant difference between day/night/day. When i was just a pup, i think the earth was more vertical so we had a longer "changeover" between day/night/day but were slightly further from the sun. Assuming we're at full tilt now towards the sun, another 40-50 years should see us with the same climate as we had when i was knee high to a grasshopper. Give it another 50 years of my theory and it will be about 12C maximum in summer and winters of -20C will be commonplace.

It is a theory but there's a lot of scientific research about this that suggests it's correct. It all seems to be hushed up in favour of feeding us all the compost the Greenies want us to swallow. Look back through history and there is evidence there to suggest this theory is correct and as the top slows down, the wobble increases - if the earth is also slowing down,, the extremes of weather will also increase.

By then, the Greenies won't be able to campaign and complain about motorists as we will all be flying round in personal transport pods with anti-gravity engines and ionic propulsion. Where all this energy will come from with no sun for 365 days of each year and then a year of daylight, i'm not sure, we don't currently have batteries capable of that kind of charge/discharge.

Now the Greenies ideas have been composted , next snowy/icy day you get, point the RB at the hill, put it in "D" and let the car do the rest with minimum throttle if needed.

I have heard rumours that shifting a BW box directly into 1 then manually into 2 before moving off forces it into 2 to minimise wheelspin, i've never been able to confirm this as i didn't hear about this until i was on AW boxes. While they're likely to be very similar and my tests on my AW70 box have proved inconclusive (it worked sometimes but not others), it's worth a try if you find a surface it struggles on.
As for your Skoda, if you drive everywhere in reverse, it will grip well and get you moving. All to do with weight transfer as you accelerate.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: