View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:28   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobModulin View Post
Japster: sorry to hear that! I was actually enroute to view a V50 D3 when I saw this come up and took a detour. The £35 tax and Bluetooth audio swung it for me but I prefer the stance of the v50! Did you get the HG replaced or get rid? What kind of bill are you looking at for this repair on these engines out of curiosity?

Kev: cheers for that. I know the BG245 has nothing to do with the coolant system, but just wondered if it might dissolve the 'fix' from any potential liquid coolant repair that was in the system. Incidentally I've been occasionally revving beyond 3k to assist in BG cleaning and have come to the conclusion that it's only during these conditions that the pressure is building. I had to drive 4hrs to London yesterday and after topping up coolant before setting off and never going beyond 2.5k revs there have been zero issues. Even a sustained 2mile climb at 70mph only raised the coolant to 89 degrees with the average being 84 so I'm hoping I'll be able to stave off a costly repair bill if I'm careful. I was previously only wafting to and from work which also seemed to conceal the issue. Looks like I'm kissing goodbye any dreams of a remap for the foreseeable, although to be fair even at 136hp tune it feels plenty adequate...

I will get it properly sorted at some point but could definitely do without spending the money at the moment if I can manage the issue with sensible driving habits.

Many thanks for all your help 🙏
I don't think the BG would have dissolved the potential cheap fix solution that may have been added prior to you purchasing the car. If there has been anything added, normally that will show up somewhere when the coolant is drained to replace a radiator for example. It breaks off like pieces of chewing gum.

I think its more likely that the cheap fix simply hasn't worked long term, but it was enough for them to shift it on... Sadly, this happens. Of course, its entirely possible that the car simply has developed an issue and no cheap fixes have been used.

Is this a euro 6 engine, so ulez compliant?

Keep your eye on the coolant level and engine temp with the app/diagnostics... I can't stress that enough. If you do that as a minimum, it'll tie you over until you have the funds to fix it properly. Don't let the reservoir get low.

The only downside to all this is summer is approaching. If we get temperatures like we did last year, I think that's where you might struggle. If there is a leak of some sort from the radiator for example, it could easily overheat due to the outside temperature being higher than it is now.

I don't think you have a head gasket problem though, but I could be wrong. I think its more likely to be a radiator issue, leaking thermostat or hose.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 11th, 2024 at 12:38.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote