View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 11:39   #2
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
Hi
Our D3 (13 plate) appears to be reluctant to start on fairly frequent occasions. Its not that it doesn't start, but it may take several presses of the button to get it to fire up.
Also the start/stop system has stopped or rather is in active. In the DrivE menu it shows as being due to battery charging, even after quite a reasonable journey.
My suspicion is that the battery may be on its way out so not providing enough oomph for a quick start and therefore the S/S is deactivated.
Went out this morning - a good frost, car showing -3deg.
checked the battery voltages: opened bonnet 12.3v, ignition on 12.0-12.1 volts, engine running 15.2v (it started with no hesitation this morning) with all electrics on that I could turn on 13.2v, engine and ignition off 12.5v, ignition back on 12.0v, ignition off slowly recovered to 12.2v.

it strikes me that the battery voltage is a bit low and I am surprised that the cars basic ignition on (no select-able systems on) drops it noticeably. The charging system seems to putting out plenty and more than enough to deal with cars demands.

Am i thinking in the right direction?
(it had the rear door lock replaced a couple of weeks ago, the garage checked the error codes - the only current one related to the power steering module and was apparently unwilling to clear. They also put the battery on charge, they didn't say but that makes me think they too thought it low)
Sounds like the battery is on its way out.
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote