View Single Post
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 01:40   #183
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
From your last comments i'd definitely agree stress is setting him off. My hound loves mash but it tends to make her loose so what works for her in terms of that won't necessarily work for your pooch. She also loves fireworks as long as she can see them, she'll stand at the window sill for ages if she can.
If she can't and it's just another noise she sulks and gets grumpy.
Thats the thing, home-cooked mash was the same with Brandy too, straight through, finding the mash in tesco was just a fluke, i was advised to try mash again and i had bought some maris pipers as it was those i was advised to use when i happened upon the powered stuff in tesco, i was gonna try Smash but that stuff and others had so much "other" crap in them, i was about to give up on that idea as a bad job when i saw those red packets, i noticed they only had 1 perseverative, curcumin for the colour and potato so thought i would give it a bash, 1st try i used the correct amount of water, the full 700ml but that made it a bit gloopy more so after its been in the fridge for a while, the condensation drips from the clingfilm and makes it worse, hence the 650ml, its spot on, fluffy.

But, as you say, what works for one etc etc, yadda yadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
Have you tried a so called "Moro soup"? It is a carrot soup, maybe you know it. It's something like an open secret under dog owners here in the south of Germany.

The easy variant: 1kg carrots, chopped into smaller pieces, 1 litre of water, cook for at least 1 hour. The easy 1kg-1l-1h. Mix the carrots and let it cool down a bit. Serve it lukewarm.

The "perfect" variant: 500g carrots, 1 litre water, cook for at least 90 minutes. Mix the carrots and fill up with boiling water up to 1 litre. 3g salt. Let it cool down a bit. Serve it lukewarm.

You can give it preventative, once a week, and in situations you need to stop it happening... I always have 2 litres in my freezer, just in case.

I know, it's always easy to say this or that helps, without even knowing the dog, but with this soup I'm 99% sure, it will work. Got that recommendation from an "old" dog trainer twenty years ago, used it on two of my own dogs, worked great. I do know from a lot of dog owners that use it as well.

And on the all-nervous front, I'd try some globulis. I know, I know, it's normally not my cup of tea either... But I have seen a lot of dogs that got better with them. I wouldn't know which ones are correct or what ingredients they would need, but if you're interested I can see, if I get a hold of a friend of mine, who is very knowledgeable in this area.
Thanks for the info, i have tried various veg over the years, whilst he eats it, it tends to come out tother end quicker, i think thats down to the fibre content, they are quite rich in it, and we all know what Bran Flakes will do to a man lol, well, it does for me thats probably why the dehydrated mash works where fresh doesnt

As for Globulis, never heard of it and the Google says no.... lol
But, its not sommat that can be fixed perse, Beardies are known to be a timid bunch from the get go, but with Brandy its made far worse from being treated badly during his younger years as a "puppy farm" stud dog til i got him at the age of about 5. He has come a long way mind, but thats not even close to 50%.

Its now a catch 22, he will scare himself farting, jump up and run, he forgets that he cant jump up without pain (back end collapses most times) so that raises his stress levels. That was just a wee example of what im still up against. When i 1st got him, you couldnt put your feet near him, just scrunching up a crisp packet to put in the bin would scare him. Hes gotten better with age but thats only cause hes going deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
If you have already tried Diarsanyl Plus treatment, which whilst it was originally designed for the prevention of diarrhoea in foals and horses, works wonders in dogs to counteract intestinal damage caused by gut infections like campylobacter et al. 3cm of the chocolate flavour from the dosing syringe off a finger into the dogs mouth is easy + dogs love the flavour!

Campylobacter can reduce the rate of nutrient absorption resulting in diarrhoea other kaolin, pectin and/or probiotics therapies can also have a very positive effect.

If you are using natural probiotic yoghurt consider also sticking to one protein and making it not chicken or beef. Lamb mince is ideal.
Feed small meals adding a tablespoonful of live yoghurt or kefir once a day promotes gut flora. (Goldies absolutely love it....there again a golden retrievers will usually eat anything they can get their teeth round )
It is also worth talking to your vet about the long-term use of a single low dose background antibiotic like ampicillin or amoxicillin which can help to overcome post gut infection diarrhoea.
Thanks for the info, i stopped giving him the OTC remedies, crapstop etc, it was an expensive waste most times.
I have tried the probiotic stuff in the past, whilst he likes it, that goes through him too, as his issue is part food related, namely most anything thats not his kibble, trying new stuff is normally no no, thankfully i have found a solution that works very well with the dehydrated mash and boiled chuck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post: