View Single Post
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 20:06   #1
vmg

Default New Guy with a 122S in Mexico... and with a few doubts

Hi guys:

First post. I live in Queretaro, Mexico and collect old cars. I enjoy working in them and doing ocassional restorations. After many years of wanting a 122S two door, I was finally able to get one, in pretty decent condition. Amazons were sold in Mexico in the late fifties or early sixties but only the four door models. Mine was a fairly recent import from the US.

My car, a 1964 model, is painted in Slate blue with light gray interior, and is in mostly good original condition and drives very nicely. It can be used as is and in fact can be left as is only correcting minor details. US version, with speedometer in miles.

I have a few doubts I want to find out about and hopefully you can help me with:

1. Brakes - Somewhere, I read that disc brakes were available from 1965. My car is 1964 but it has them. Were they available since 1964 or were they probably retrofitted?

2. Wheels - The car has the slotted wheels that I have seen in pictures from 1965 models. Were they available since 1964 also or were they retrofitted?
What puzzles me most is that the spare wheel does have the older type of wheels.

3. Ignition switch. It has a universal switch and regular coil. For a 1964 model, should I look for the switch and the metallic long tube going to the back of the coil?

4. Exterior mirror. My car had a door mirror, marked Volvo, but the arm that holds the mirror itself comes from the rear side of the base of the mirror, which by the way has holes for a couple of screws to attach it to the door. The replicas I have seen for sale have the arm holding the mirror on the front part of the base, and this base has no holes but a couple of studs to attach it. Did they change with the years? Which is the correct mirror?

5. I read the cars used a light gray rubber mat throughout the car. Mine already has carpets, but I would love to find a reproduction mat. I read that they are not being produced now and they are difficult to source. Any ideas of where I could get a set, front and rear?

Thanks!
Victor
vmg is offline   Reply With Quote