View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2021, 13:20   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
A surprising number of XC60’s are front wheel drive only versions, i know of 2 people who have struggled to find 4wd versions. I am however surprised you just assumed it was an AWD and seemingly still happy to buy it. I hope you are not overpaying for it. As for towing i am sure it will be fine providing the caravan is correctly loaded. I would recommend ditching the standard tyres and fitting all weather, the benefits will help offset some of the loss of 4wd. I also agree your current car will be part time 4wd, few if any SUV’s are full time 4wd these days.
Yes it's part time AWD - but only and all of the times when you need it, and ln later cars (post 2011-ish) that's every time you set off.

Very few SUV's are permanent 4x4 now (i.e. centre diff and 2 live axles) as the extra weight and drag of those systems means it's difficult to get them through passenger car emissions test with sensible results and they are unaffordable as company cars etc. hence most "proper" 4x4's are now commercial vehicles (pickups etc.) with a few exceptions like the new Defender. They are fully electronically managed with automatic locking diffs and couplings. Torsen centre differentials are also appearing now - the VW Amarok has (had) one.

BTW the last time I read up on it - the Honda system wasn't particularly effective, with only something like 20% of the power being able to go to the rear. This may be been improved on now but it doesn't compete with the Haldex based systems.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 4th, 2021 at 13:44.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: