View Single Post
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 08:55   #8
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
Seems very hit and miss and a bit of a farce really. I guess they’re banking on the fact that most people don’t know or don’t care about the updated software.
So my car went in for an insurance repair (will update cracked panoramic roof thread shortly) last Friday. The service department told me that while the car was in they were also going to do a couple of recall jobs, namely the EGR and PowerPulse hose. I questioned them on a software update and they assured me that they always update car software as a matter of course whenever they see a vehicle in the workshop. Great I thought, so I won't labour the point about wanting the latest version of Sensus like I had planned to.

To my surprise, when the car was returned the new Sensus interface was not present. I emailed my contact in the service team who responded to say he couldn't see any outstanding software on the car and that it had a total upgrade when it was in. I pressed the point (including a link to the new Sensus software announcement on the Volvo support site) and the issue was raised with the master tech. They came back a day or two later to let me know a 72 min (whatever that means, takes 72 minutes??!) upgrade was available for the car and we could make arrangements to drop the car in for the update.

So my guess is that a standard software update procedure patches existing modules within the cars current major software version. And a different (non essential) procedure is required to upgrade to a newer Sensus version.

:wq