View Single Post
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 19:17   #33
KINGST

Default Similar problem - engine cracked on XC60/coolant issues

I'm new to this forum but been having serious issues with our XC60 2014 of which sound similar to others on here. I am hoping someone can offer some advice.....

We purchased our XC60 in January*2018*through a non-Volvo dealer with great expectations of a safe and reliable vehicle for our family, but boy were we wrong!*

We've just heard from our mechanic who has told us the engine block has cracked and we need a new engine! It's a 5 year old vehicle and done less than 70,000 miles - I am horrified. We had issues with the coolant tank and pipes in February*2018 shortly after we bought it which was covered by the warranty purchased through the dealer.

All was fine until this June when the car wouldn't start, and later showed warning lights for engine coolant levels. Coolant had exploded out of the tank and gone everywhere,*we topped it up and nursed it to our local trusted garage who we have used for nearly 20 years. They told us the head gasket had gone but on further inspection the engine block has cracked! I was gobsmacked and so was our mechanic. He spoke to someone at Volvo*UK who was also shocked because apparently this "never happens".

Having now done some research online regarding this issue, it actually does happen and I've found several cases where engines have overheated due to coolant problems. So why have they not been recalled and faulty parts replaced? If we had known about this common issue we could have done something about it before we got to this point, but we are now facing a whopping bill!*

A subsequent call was made to Volvo UK by our mechanic to follow up on what they would suggest. The response was basically that it was out of their hands.*I have now contacted them directly and told as we bought the car, serviced and maintained outside of Volvo there's nothing they can do.

Surely they have a responsibility to owners if parts are faulty!
KINGST is offline   Reply With Quote