View Single Post
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 16:37   #1
spikee1956

Default Advice on fitting new front brake pipe hoses

well i finally fitted my hoses after reading about the problems almost everyone has had with siezed joints. i tried my damndest to undo the joints, almost drowned in penetrating fluid! i left them overnight tried in the morning i part rounded one brass nut. i actually have an engineering background and lots of prototype and modelling experience, so i thought "how do i do this without giving in to a garage?"
i chain drilled the round part of the flexible hose (where the brass nut fits in the steel )very CAREFULLY !! just until i reached the brass part of the male fitting using a 1/8th or No 30 or 3mm drill you can drill about three holes then again CAREFULLY!! change the angle of the drill to connect one hole to another. i must emphasise you do not drill into the brass just up to it, use a mag glass if you need to. when you have done this you can use a suitable sized screwdriver to put in the slot and slightly prize it open. now squirt your fluid and leave for a while then try to undo, if it does not come undone then try to do it up, do not use brute force you are just trying to break the joint . this might get the purists backs up but i did one side in 20mins and the other in 10mins, this was after trying ordinary methods for a day .
i hope this will help someone