View Single Post
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 12:49   #17
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpms View Post
It was a toss-up for me between the V40 and V60, both in D4 R-Design Nav spec. In the end, I went for the V60 as I got a much better deal on that, which really narrowed the difference in price for the two models with the same equipment and options. Although the V60 has marginally less power, the torque output is the same, so I doubt whether it would be very noticeable in everyday driving.
I've seen quite a few reports praising the ZF 8-speed box used by BMW and other German makes. The way the transmission computer links to the navigation system to anticipate corners and inclines is pretty amazing. That said, I'm very happy with the Geartronic 8-speed box: its my first auto since a Mercedes 5-speed about 10 years ago, and the technology has really come on. The smoothness of the changes, the changes down under braking and the overall efficiency are very impressive. I particularly like the greater responsiveness and engine braking you get in Sport mode. I haven't really used the manual mode very much so far.
Aisin-Warner displayed their gearboxes at the Paris Motor Show last month: they supply the Volvo unit, but have different 8-speed transmissions for FWD and RWD (Lexus).
Cheers,
Julian.
I've heard a few horror tales of the ZF units not taking big miles well with a few BMWs on 50k with that box having issues. I'd rather have an Aisin Warner unit. I'll not rule out 8speed S80's
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote