View Single Post
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 07:38   #84
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Haha unfortunately I must keep you in suspense Alan as I've still not done anything since getting home.

Last Saturday the weather was patchy and the car was filthy having got back from Scotland and then sat on the road all week, so I ended up washing instead of getting underneath. I'd never seen the car in such a sorry looking state before. Today it was tipping it down in the morning so nothing done.

The parking situation is still problematic. I've tried to make contact with the landowner of the industrial estate in the village, in the hope of procuring my own parking space with room to work, but so far two emails and three phone calls have gone unanswered. I'm not sure what's going on there...

I will update here once I have news! I am somewhat apprehensive about touching the sump plug again if I have to do it on the driveway, as if it goes awry or I find the pan threads stripped, it'll be a general nuisance if the car has to be left in an unmovable state. I have the vacuum extractor now so may just use that, but if I can find a yard to rent, I'll give the plug another go after a long hot run and see if the pipe wrench helps. I do wonder if it'll be too big to fit though.

I've topped-up another 0.5 litres of oil in the interim. I'm now onto Volvo-bottled 0W-30 (supplied by FRF) instead of Castrol-bottled 0W-30; I'd been led to believe it would be the same stuff, so I was surprised to find I'm wrong. What comes out the Volvo bottle is paler in colour and possibly a little thinner than the Castrol.

Thanks for the support! Hope to get this sorted soon. Jobs are stacking up as I also need to track down my probable vacuum leak noise reported in another thread.

James
Thank you James.
On reflection, it is probably sensible to continue using the extractor pump method for the life of the motor car, I've heard of people doing that for years with no problems.
Alan