View Single Post
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:08   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I did think about the starter being the issue but, if the car was used for say shopping to Thetford Tesco, and start the car the next morning, it turns over fast enough, its like it should be, I didn't try the 1 turn over then release and try again this morning because of that very reason, so I left if for about 5 cranks, it was quick to turn over for the 1st 2 or 3 then you could tell it slowing a little, I let go and cranked again and it fired 1st turn over.

Re the jump pack idea, I don't have one, but I have left a charger on all day on auto, didn't start the car till the next morning and it turned over quickly but if I rem correctly it still didn't bite for a few cranks but it was quick turning over.

I will look at starter motors, I've fit them on other cars so should be ok with that job

Re the offer of help, afternoons is when it usually starts without too much issue, its the colder mornings where the issue lies, thank you though

I also still have the noisy (ticking) injector, I have a feeling that could be playing a part in this, I think a fuel delivery issue is the main cause that's exasperated by a less than 100% electrical issue, as you said, poss starter motor.
It could also be worth removing, cleaning and refitting all the electrical heavy power connections on the starter circuit and also on the glow plugs. You may also have some weak glow plugs.

Do you know when they were last changed?

There is also Brandon Autoelectrics, on the Swaffham road out of Brandon, past the level crossing but before the concrete place.
They should be able to supply a recon starter and new glow plugs.

Does that noisy injector give a misfire when the engine is running? If not it's probably not effecting the cold start. Might not be helping in the great scheme of things but probably not hindering at this stage either.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote