View Single Post
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 22:54   #473
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Ramblings about wiring

First off I think I need to own up and state that I'm most certainly not at one with electrickery. It really isn't my thing.

I think it isn't my thing because I've done my best to avoid it. Having got a car that uses Bosch CIS (KE II) I've had to get used to the concept of angry pixies (as some put it) but you know how it goes here I am scratching me nuts thinking about the future use of the PV and how best to tackle the problem of (re)wiring - so I'm going to have to suck it up and try again.

Decisions have been made.

I've decided what I want:-

1) I want to use a more modern wiring style - more fuses (have you seen the USS Enterprise fuse boxes on modern VAG cars these days?)
2) I want to use relays to avoid bunging mega amps through switches
3) I want four in car power sockets (traditional fag lighter plugs) two under the dash for navigation / cameras and one in each of the rear ash trays where children with tablets / phones might be sitting
4) I want decent OTT wiring for the tow hitch electrics
5) I want an electric cooling fan (I guess this will cause comments!)
6) There will be two fog lights up front
7) One fog light out back
8) I want a reversing light (I don't think there is one at the moment - there is a switch on the gearbox)
9) I don't want a radio!
10) I want to use uninsulated tinned connectors - I will be crimping not soldering
11) I want to use thin walled wiring
12) I want to use some of the existing colour coding for the wires so parts agree with the PV wiring diagram
13) I want to label every wire with a Dynotape industrial system I've found which prints on heat shrink
14) I want to use small connectors for certain parts that might need to be removed so wires can fit through holes - such as tow hitch wiring - headlight / fog light wiring. I'm not a fan of modern multiplugs because they don't fit through 1960s holes. So no multi-plugs.
15) The connections in 14 above need to be in waterproof junction boxes
16) I want anal redundancy instead of wiring it cheap - that means slightly heavier thicker wires and no sharing of relays - I wish to approach a level of robustness approaching aircraft => redundancy that I've not seen in a factory car
17) I will probably stick with the original flasher relay
18) I want to approach a one item one fuse level of silliness so it is easy to trace faults (this probably won't happen for e-v-e-r-y-thing)

Ideally I'd like to have a modern integrated relay and fuse box but after market ones seem to be hard to find for what I'm planning.

(Now starts the overkill - welcome to my "it is just like plumbing" heavy wiring world)

I think the following items need relays

a) Fog light front LHS (50W)
b) Fog light front RHS (50W)
c) Fog light rear (45W)
d) Cooling fan (??W)
e) Headlight LHS (45W)
f) Headlight RHS (45W)
g) Indicator relay (original)
h) Horn(s)

I realise this isn't the way most cars are wired. So I thought I'd ask for opinions from those with more electrickery experience than me to see what they think. This is a forum - this thread might seem at times like a blog - it isn't meant to be that way - so what ya got to say?

(P.S. Because this is a forum I reserve the right to ultimately ignore advice given - despite this caveat I do appreciate the input of others which is why I've chosen to write up this stuff on a forum and not in a blog)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote