View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 16:12   #42
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The amount of assistance can be changed just by twisting a knob on a control box if fitted. I believe that there is a UK company that can do this conversion MUCH cheaper than the EZ one using pretty much the same parts. There are also instructions out there for DIY for even less money. No I don't have links. Search the bay for the control box and the electric steering column.
That applies if you are using an older EPS with a controller that accepts a pulse type VSS signal such as the Corsa EPS units. Since about 2005 it is more common to see EPS controllers (whether they are column or rack style EPS) using a speed signal provided over the vehicle CAN bus. That is a more complex thing to emulate than the simple adjustable pulse generators sold for the older EPS units.

Generating a speed signal using a tiny GPS unit and loading it on to a CAN bus network for use by the EPS is not so hard. Probably around $100. Sussing out the device address and memory location in the EPS controller for the vehicle speed variable is not so easy. As far as i can figure out, once you get past the physical and signaling layer of the CAN protocol the protocol becomes non standard.

On my 142, I wired out the CAN bus connection from the EPS controller and connected it to the Megasquirt 2 fuel injection controller which replaces the D jet on my car. The MS2 is CAN enabled; but, nothing is happening on the bus because I don't know the device and memory address for the EPS and I currently don't have a speed signal for the MS2 (that would be the easier part f the equation).
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote