View Single Post
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 07:05   #46
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcthompson View Post
It has been the better part of two years since I purchased an EZ kit for my 123GT. At the time, I was given sales totals for different makes and models, and the Amazon was by far the most common recepient of EZ power steering. Why did I select the EZ unit over the various other kits out there? Because as an engineer I appreciated the thought that had gone into the packaging, the selection of componentry (e.g., the servo motor), and the driver-oriented features, such as the driver-selectable and speed-sensitive variable gain.

Can the EZ system stress the steering gearbox? Sure, if you're foolish enough to crank hard and fast while the vehicle is stationary. Just do as you did 50 years ago with your first Amazon, and don't overstress the vehicle.

So why did I buy power assisted steering at all? Because I have aged 54 years since I fell in love with driving my mother's brand-new 1967 Volvo 122S wagon, and knew that with various old age disabilities that I would find driving the GT difficult without some electrical assist.

No, it hasn't been installed yet; little details like finishing the 165hp engine build remain before we finish the steering and start on the interior. I am 100% confident, however, that I made the right choice when I selected EZ to make life easier in my old age.

I will post pictures of the GT, including shots of the restoration, when she is completed this coming Spring after a total of seven years. The car is spectacular, everything I dreamed of for over 50 years.
Look forward to seeing the pics of the restoration.

Have you any relatives in Dundee? Quite a well known Dundee company shares your name. My wife worked for them when they bought the Aberdeen newspapers.