View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 20:28   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Hi.

Having driven up from Cornwall yesterday to Bristol for a two night stopover before continuing to London, I had a warning to top up 0.5 litres of oil. I'm trying to find 0W-20 oil but, as mentioned on this forum, it isn't available in Halfords, etc.

The Bristol Volvo dealer parts department was shut Saturday afternoon (by the time I had realised it isn't a standard oil available at Halfords) so couldn't help me. They said come back Monday - but I need to drive back to London tomorrow (Sunday).

Amazon prime won't deliver until Monday. Euro car parts have it on their website and one of their Bristol stores is open tomorrow so I can try them in the morning

Does anyone near Bristol (or anywhere on M4 corridor) have 1L of spare 0W-20 sitting around?

At a push, could I substitute with any other oil? To confuse matters, the oil warning changes between 0.5 and 1litre warnings. The salesman at the dealer said (I should take this with a pinch of salt) that I shouldn't drive it to London without filling up.

Anyone got any practical suggestions??

Car is XC60, MY15, 2.0L 181BHP

Many thanks in advance.
The unique specification for this 0w/20 oil is VCC RBS0-2AE
a number of manufactures are making the correct oil now with this specification including Q8 and Total . However it won't be available on the shelf of a normal outlet .
I would put in 1/2 litre of 0w/30 A4.B5 , it will get you home , then go for a complete oil change as soon as you can , might be a good idea to keep an eye on the oil gauge daily to spot any trends .. When was the oil last changed and by whom ? If by any chance you have to do it yourself drain until all is out including the filter , then put in EXACTLY 5 litres to avoid upsetting the level sensor , strictly the sensor has to be reset at the dealer , it then takes what ever level is in there to be the correct level .