View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 14:53   #206
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
As matter of price, I see that injector is £45.61 inc VAT at e.g. buycarparts.co.uk

Total order over £140, "free" i.e. included shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Oh Dave.

On your one day at school, did you do reading? Nowhere did I say a calculation result at £140 or any other amount.

I just gave a little info as to one price source, and took the trouble to check p&p. "Free" over £140.

Simples....

In fairness I should explain that the number of days at school is just a family joke. But please don't anyone tell Dave. He's occupied between reading lessons and Specsavers. Hush Hush ....

I can read very well when the information is present in a readable, logical fashion!

Had you added "If the" in front of your statement "Total order over £140" it would have changed the statement that the total order for the injectors required would be over £140 to a conditional on price, free shipping/postage/delivery offer.

Also by using a comma as punctuation after the "Total order over £140", the comma separates the two statements with no obvious connection.

It would be far better to use a conjunction such as "then" or "so" to make it "Total order over £140 then free/included delivery" or "Total order over £140 so delivery is included/free".

As most cars would need a minimum of 4 injectors (yes, there are some modern 3-cylinder cars and others that are single-point injection but for the purposes of this thread, discussing primarily a V6 Volvo with 6 injectors with a few bits thrown in about your 4 cylinder) it is perfectly reasonable and i would think, done by many to make that jump that you were working out the price of 4 injectors.

As such, it makes the injectors either £35 each for an order total of £140 or your abacus has thrown its toys out of the pram and is giving cowshed confetti answers.

A quote i read many moons ago is "Good English is almost always definitive", i can't remember which book it was in, something in the back of my mind says 1984 by George Orwell but it may just as easily have been another book.
In other words, if you write it correctly, there can not be any ambiguity on the meaning of what you have written. Likewise for speaking it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote