View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 19:43   #210
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

After 2 years of no unexpected happenings i mentioned that to a friend a few days ago that it's been pretty reliable.

Hmmm, maybe i spoke too soon! After an unexpected flat battery yesterday (courtesy of my faithful pooch knocking the switch for the luggage compartment light! :roll: ) i thought it would be a good idea to check it started today, just in case it wasn't the luggage light.

Turned over fine.

The rest can be summed up by three TLAs - Three Letter Acronyms :

UAV
FTP
CPS

Translation :

UAV = Urban Assault Vehicle aka Volvo aka Dogmobile
FTP = Failed To Proceed aka wouldn't start
CPS = Crank Position Sensor

On the 4-pot Volvos it's quite a common occurrence because of where the CPS sits. On mine, although in the same position (top of the bellhousing), because it's a V6, it doesn't get any oil leaks from the rocker cover contaminating the wiring and causing failure like on the 4-pots. Just old age and the fact i obviously disturbed the wiring when fitting the injectors.

Gave the wiring a wiggle, turned the key - fired and has been ok since.

However, if it can throw it's toys out of the pram once, i'm sure it will again. Found one on ebay for the princely sum of about £20 so it's on its way to me, if that lasts another 30 years i'll be happy!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...y/401572503566

Did try getting one locally, local spares place can get one for monday but it's £43, Kia (i kid you not!) can get one tomorrow but it's £49 and a long drive to Bury St Edmunds to collect, couldn't find a number for a nearby Ferrari, Lancia or Rolls-Royce dealer and refuse to go to Peugeot/Citroen or Renault and they're NLA at Volvo.

Seriously, the same sensor is used by models from all those manufacturers!

As such, ebay to the rescue, hopefully it will land just as quick as any of the other options that could get it locally.

Meanwhile i'll have to hope it doesn't play up again, if it does then wiggling the wiring will hopefully get it going again.

When i have the new one in my grimy paw and get it fitted, i'll look at the old one to see if it's repairable, if it is then it's a handy spare to keep.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote