View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 23:55   #12
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlunH View Post

I am at a loss as to what action to take now. We (STUPIDLY) didn't take the car back to the garage and demand a full repair or a refund if not rapaired within a fixed time frame. We trusted Volvo and were let down. They said they had fixed the problem when all they have done is cover it up. They even made us pay for clean oil to be added during the testing phase because I didn't weant the car to run with insufficiently thick lubricant.

Is there anyone with legal training who could advise us what to do now?

rgds,
Alun
Thank you for your post (quoted shortened).What you write is indeed correct,unfortunately.

I have been informed that 'the oil is of a quality and standard that allows dilution with diesel so as not to affect its ability to protect the engine'.

Now make of that what you will, but in my book its nonsense. Oil should not be diluted with diesel,and for oil to be diluted with diesel in the manner it is being, indicates a design fault.It is however mere opinion and I am not a qualified tech so my thoughts count for nothing without being able to substantiate them with proof.

For any action to have a chance of being successful you would have to provide proof. To do so would be expensive,not to mention time consuming and stressful.For any action to be successful you must have suffered a loss? - have you?

And therein lies the problem - by the time engines may have worn (even prematurely - say they expire at 80k when without the poor oil lubrication issue they would have lasted say 150k) it may be suggested by Volvo that it is not due to this rising oil issue, but something else - and how does one dispute that or argue the contrary?

Now don't get me wrong, I am hugely in favour of the 'small man' taking on the might of a large corporation despite the odds being stacked against them, and seeing a 'large corprate grin' turn into an even 'larger corporate grimace' although one has to be sensible and consider chances of success in relation to time expended along with attendant cost and stress!

It really is a difficult position in which to be, and manufacturers know that.Awareness may be an option with which to fight back.

The above is just my opinion and others may disagree.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote