View Single Post
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 19:20   #1
Marsh Minis

Default Odd rattling over bumps (+ a new leak)

Hi, a newbie here with a 2005 XC70 which has been going strong until recently.

During the the nice weather over the Easter weekend driving along with the windows down I noticed a clunking/rattling noise when we went over bumps. It’s a metallic sounding noise and at first I thought it was simply me driving over a couple of drain covers, but it wasn’t and now does it over any reasonable bump (so a lot on our roads!). It’s coming from the N/S, possibly from the front and appears to be from under the car.

I had it into my local garage shortly after Easter and they replaced a track rod end but obviously hadn’t really checked regarding the noise as it was still doing it. I had it back in last week and they still can’t see anything making the noise. They replaced an exhaust bracket but made no difference. I’m worried it’s suspension related. Anyone had anything similar or have any ideas?

In addition, lately the fan has been kicking in when I turn the engine off, even on short journeys and without the temp gauge showing it’s getting particularly hot. Today after a longer drive it did it again and I noticed a leak, which is at the back of the engine bay. I can’t find the source, it’s to the N/S and appears to be coming from the bulkhead rather than a pipe... is there any pipes tucked under the fold in the bulkhead?

Any help appreciated! Thanks
Tom
Marsh Minis is offline   Reply With Quote