View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 19:46   #82
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
I spent some time reading all your different posts around this issue. Thank you all for taking the time to post your results and findings. It helps, believe me!
This is what I did, and where I'm at right now: High oil consumptions (1L every fuel fill at the end). The oil consumption increased gradually since 1 year, with more frequent DPF regenerations. The DPF regeneration would engage each time I go high engine rpm's (Above 2500rpm's). Changed oil to 5W30 instead of 0W30, No difference. Checked pressure on top engine cover with a rubber glove (As Robert DIY was showing): the glove would inflate but stay in place with engine cold. As soon as engine get's warm, she would pop off. Checked the PCV valve membrane: couldn't find any signs of wear or leaks on that one. Pressure has to come from somewhere else. I finally decided to open up the top of the engine. The inside is a disaster... Valves are completely filled with soot, top of pistons as well. There is even small layers of soot on the sealing surface of some inlet valves. Interesting enough, inlet valves channels are way more dirty than the outlet valve channels. As engine head is removed, checked as well the turbo: no real issue with that one, you were right Osullivant! I'm cleaning the compleet head right now: removed the valve stem seals. Haven't found any of the seal different from the others, but I must admit all of them have become very hard at the top. Is this the root cause? I would guess, but not 100% sure. I will check the vaccuum system as mentionned by a post earlier. Should I check any other parts at this stage, before fitting back the engine head?
as you have the head off you should do the rings as well.... it is the easiest part of job, sump comes off easily, then only 10 bolts on the conrods and up pop your pistons,

after doing all of this work I still had soot filter full until I changed the PCV and cleaned the DPF,,
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote