View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 20:45   #13
CosmicBike

Ceiling and walls painted. Gloves on (or should that be off??) and the throttle body gasket dropped through the letterbox, excellent timing.
My logical brain started up at about 0400hrs this morning. The idle issues started after I set the TPS correctly, which then brings the ICV into play. As soon as you touch the throttle, the ICV is out of circuit, and the airflow is controlled by the throttle flap. So, perhaps too much air passing through the throttle flap, leaving the ICV struggling.
Anyway, stripped the throttle body off, I think that may be the first time in 179,000 miles! After removing the TPS, a thorough clean with carb cleaner and the rather wonderful Bilt Hamber Surfex HD which I discovered when working on the Capri.
Once clean it was obvious that the throttle flap was not closing fully at the idle position, sitting approx. 1mm open. I guess this is from where the garage previous adjusted the idle in an effort to alleviate the other issues. Suitably adjusted to close fully, TPS re-attached and adjusted. Bolted back on the intake, throttle cable adjusted, all good.
Next, checking the intake hose for cracks. Some ingenious use of gaffer tape, and I closed myself in the garage and off with the lights. Torch check, much wiggling, no issues shown, though not sure what the neighbours think....
All back together, and start... A bit ropey to begin with, poor pickup. Figured I'd drive round the estate, ha ha, that was fun, shocking, no power, then a surge, then no power. Reversing back onto the drive it all just settled down. So off we go again, engine now warm. Pretty good, went very well indeed and pulled through from the idle to 4k rpm nicely.
Left for 5 hours to cool, and went out this evening. All good. Be interesting to see how it goes from an overnight stand...
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote