Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 11:28   #2108
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Nothing much to report on the RB since I fitted the Pholus wheels (25 November I think) and winter tyres, mainly because in the wintry weather it as always made more sense to use the Skoda Superb estate. I was in no rush this morn though, so I took the RB out for a spin down to the local Aldi store for a few groceries and home via a roundabout country route (maybe 8-10 miles total).
Having been unused for over a week I was quite impressed with the RB: it started instantly and warmed up quickly. Unlike the Skoda and the Porsche of course it does not have a heated windscreen, so I had to find it a scraper and some spray (the windscreen had frozen on the inside as well - hard frost last night).
I was pleased to find the RB's heater is really good, and the engine warms up quickly with the electric fan arrangement I fitted earlier in the year. The winter tyres are really good, I deliberately came back on some minor roads around Pipewell that were still frozen and the car was very sure footed. They were a good investment.
So, a good outcome for a car that has been standing for nearly two weeks: everything works the way it is supposed to, there were no funny noises (well, apart from the normal 40 years old car creaks and groans) and no spurious warning lights (not that the RB really has many anyway).
:-)
Excellent news Alan! I fitted a modified fuel pump relay to mine yesterday with an external switch to prime the system. Went out about 9 ish to defrost/warm the car up and to test the priming function and it works as intended. Fired first pot over the top as it used to before the ECU lost the priming function.

Nice contrast to yours where as long as there is petrol in the carb, pull the choke and turn the key and it fires first pot over the top - the things we have to go through on something more modern!

Pleased to hear the winter tyres are a good investment, wait until all your neighbours are struggling to go anywhere when we get sharper frosts (down to -8C here last night, still -3C when i went to the car earlier) and the roads are like a skating rink then just drive calmly past them in your 40 year old RB!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: