Thread: General: - E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit
View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:41   #23
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE View Post
So are you guys buying H7 E46 halogen projectors to swap out the old 30/40/50 series halogen projectors ? Then fitting your H7 HID kits into these as someone else said all of the E46 xenons projectors I am seeing are D2S fitment.
Hi
Just to clarify the possible confusion:
- OEM projector type Bosch AL/E46 that is used in lots of cars (including E46 BMW etc) is a _DS2_only_ type projector and in that form is used only for Xenon installations. It is genuine German-made Bosch part and is made of quality materials. It is still OK to use it if you source original one in good condition, but it is unfortunately pretty hard (lots are a bit worn out or damaged).
- AFTERMARKET projector called "Bosch AL/E46" are mostly made in China Bosch-design ripoffs that are still decent quality and can be bought brand new and are pretty decent value. Those can be bought in various bulb-socket seats (H7, H11, DS2) so you can even use those with standard halogen H7's.
The reason I, for example, used H7 version is because I had H7 kit already with lots of spare bulbs etc, and also - when going to MOT, you only swap the bulbs.
I suspect D2S version would be better in terms of brightness/light spread, as you can use genuine and good D2S bulbs, but for the sake of convenience I went for compromise :]
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: