Thread: S40 2.0d
View Single Post
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 14:03   #8
karlB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
All the switches are the same fitting , just the quality has been improved . They do not need software .... Your dealer will give you the correct latest part number , I doubt you can get the latest genuine Volvo ones anywhere else ...

Hi Clan me again, so there are 3 different ignition switches that will fit the s40 /v50 and the last two being upgraded switches, just trying to get my head around this, so it looks like all volvo s40 / v50 keys look the same shape so for instance my ignition key would fit into your ignition and vice versa, so do you know how far the key would turn in this situation ? probably not at all, I noticed on insertion of key it sounds like it automatically unlocks the steering lock , so I assume the key is read on insertion into the ignition by the ecu and not the ignition switch itself, the reason I am asking you really as you seem knowledgeable about this situation and I am in a situation where as I really cannot afford a brand new ignition switch at this moment in time and will also have to do the job myself, I have seen a genuine brand new switch on ebay for £60 that I could just about afford, plenty of cheaper secondhand ones for £30 but don't want the risk of same thing happening again a day /week/ month / down the line, sorry for the long post.

Karl.
karlB is offline   Reply With Quote