View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 00:01   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It was indeed Ted - straight off the production line but missing central locking and electric windows. It gained some beefier anti roll bars and slightly stiffer springs (all of which became standard, dependent on model, fit on later 800s ) and a straight through exhaust but otherwise standard and is still in existence. Sadly has the 2.0 T series turbo in it now but has served duty at Thruxton and Snetterton as a pace car and also been raced privately at both too.
Now in the hands of a private owner who has raced it at Thruxton (bought it from them when they retired it as a pace car) and i think is trying to return it to the original spec. I have photos somewhere of it in his garage.

The engine/box used by Tony Pond in that car for the record attempt was in his company 827 Vitesse the day before as well!

I believe it was a guy called Mark Higgins (Higgs?) that drove the Subaru WRX Impreza that as you rightly say was fully tricked out - roll cage, no seats or anything, pretty much rally ready.

They only just beat the 827 so i tend to agree - put them in an 827 against Tony Pond and they wouldn't do it. Also bear in mind there's about 25+ years time between the two!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote