View Single Post
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 10:37   #9
GingerDiesel

Hello,

My 1.6D C30 has been regularly showing the Anti-skid warning, and then started doing that scary Brake Failure Stop Immediately thing.

In my case this was due to blanking the EGR - there are so many parts of engine function that work hand-in-hand with the BCM to allow for functions like traction control to work, so the Anti Skid warning comes up for a range of engine faults too.

In VIDA, it explains that you should not replace the BCM:

"Note! The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) applies only to cars with stability and traction control (STC) / dynamic stability and traction control (DSTC).
The engine control module (ECM) transmits a signal via the Control area network (CAN) which indicates whether the engine speed signal to the brake control module (BCM) is correct or not. The brake control module (BCM) uses the engine speed (RPM) signal during control of the stability function.
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) BCM-0101 is stored if the brake control module (BCM) registers that the engine control module (ECM) has transmitted a signal indicating that the engine speed (RPM) signal is implausible.

The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) can be diagnosed after the engine has been started.

Substitute value
Traction control is blocked
Stability control is blocked
Active yaw control is blocked.

Hint:
For information about abbreviations, see Brake system, abbreviations .
Possible source
Fault in the engine management system.
Note! This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is not due to an internal hardware fault in the Brake control module (BCM) and must not be remedied by replacing the control module. "

As it says in the above readout, this is often caused by communication errors - the CEM fuses as others have stated above would be a good place to start.

There will probably be a huge list of fault codes stored in every module after that Brake Failure thing...

Another common thing to check, after fuses, is the Steering Wheel Position Sensor - know to go bad on these Volvos and Ford Focuses.

Good luck!

PS. deleting the EGR from my ECU seems to have cured my Anti-Skid... I hope!
GingerDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote